Chimp & See Talk

DBFem05 & DBJuv05 --Huge dorsal infant or juvenile?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0007tpz Look how long this dorsal youngster's legs extend down the Female's side! So are chimps always considered an Infant if they ride dorsally?

Female has a somewhat light triangular shaped face. The ears look regular and are set high on a flat head. Her right nipple is somewhat long. She may have a white spot on her right wrist, briefly see it when she scratches or it might just be debris. Another small white spot on left shoulder could also be debris.

Large youngster has a pale muzzle nicely rounded brow - 'm' shaped top, fluffy cheeks, and the lips look slightly "puckered". Hands and feet are pale.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

One other note, this is a single 15 sec. clip with empty mates - too bad we don't see them a bit longer.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hi @Snorticus, could you add some pictures please? Face views are quite good. (Or do the screenshots not work again?)

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Huge infant or juvenile

huge infant

Female with grey face and white spot on wrist:

female with grey face

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hello @Snorticus, thanks for posting the chimps.

I am going to add them as DBFem05 & DBJuv05.

We call infants to the chimp that go always in their mom's belly or back, so we will find always they together when they walk. In this case I think that chimp is going to her mom's back because she/he just see the camera, so is more like a camera reaction, but I don't think they walk always like this, so maybe we can see them walking separately, but not very far away from each other. 😉

Posted

• hoothoot by hoothoot

Hey @Snorticus,

could this be them again ? : ACP00081b ACP00081ic

enter image description here

enter image description here

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to hoothoot's comment.

Hi hoothoot, These chimps seem to have light faces and the big ears like the one in ACP0007tpz but they're pretty far to see details for an ID. In ACP00081ic the female pulls the dorsal infant onto her belly so I don't think the infant is very large.

The other thing I'd say is that sometimes the clips are very mixed up but look similar even though they are not in the same series of 4 clips. ACP00081i8 ACP00081ib ACP00081ie ACP00081ih are one full clip.

The other full clip: ACP00081i9 ACP00081ic ACP00081if ACP00081ii

So probably two different chimps. The last preview of chronologically adjacent clips should be almost identical to the first preview of the next clip in the series. Also Dawn Bird is pretty hard I think because of the early lower resolution cameras that were there. Keep looking though!

Posted

Hi all!!!

I agree, this infant is smaller than DBJuv05.

But the two females from the two videos are quite similar... unfortunately they are quite far (and yes, we don't have the best quality videos 😕 )

what do you think about a match DBFem07 & DBInf07? I think I can see a similar mouth pigmentation (at least in ACP00081ib female) as the mouth pigmentation from DBFem07

Posted

I am going to open a new thread to talk about ACP00081ib ACP00081ic. Her the link to the thread: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000p/discussions/DCP0000vyj

Thanks!

Posted