Chimp & See Talk

DBJuv04 is Nakula!?

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

After going through the spreadsheet and comparing juveniles I'm convinced that DBJuv04 is Nakula - and not only because s/he is eating 😃 The face is similar to Nakula: the bright mask including the flat nose, the bright, nicely shaped brows with a tinly irregularity on the outer part of the right one and especially the right ear, which shows the exact same high ridge. The white beard can't be seen very well because of the darker surrounding but it think it's there.

DBJuv04

enter image description here

Nakula:

oh and just in case you think DBJUv04's nose is smaller than Nakula's, see here: also Nakula's nose is not always as big as it appears to be 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The right ear (and nostrils) looks very interesting indeed. I will look into both aspects tomorrow. Would be cool if we can do any better with this site.

Posted

Paula, I'm not sure if you have seen this proposal. I'm not sure if @AnLand is around in case you're waiting for her input... 😃 Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Sorry, @Boleyn, I just forgot. I did not want to ignore you.

As said before, I find the ears (both of them, but the right more recognizable) very similar and also the nostrils and the rounded brows. Maybe DBJuv04's brows look a bit narrower, but the perspective is so different. Vili has totally different ears (bigger and the ridge more midear). I cannot really see Zawadi's ears, but the brows exclude it here. Face coloration agrees, I think. The body size is difficult to see for DBJuv04. But at least I do not see an obvious mismatch.

Just one additional remark: in one video ( ACP00083qh ) Nakula's right ear even looks a bit damaged. I noted earlier that DBJuv07 ( ACP0007p4e ) has also something on the ear (not only a high ridge). One could look into that, too.

Posted

Hi @AnLand great to read you and thanks for your input! Sorry I didn't want to rush you, I just thought you might be off for some days 😃 That was an excellent tip with the ear!

I tried to catch that little distortion in Nakula's ear: It seems to be a little notch but I can't see in the other videos or when he moves around.

This screenshot is from DBJuv04. At a certain angle there seems to be the same little dark notch in his right ear. Also here you can not see it when he moves around.

![enter image description here](http://)

Here's DBJuv07, the funny little branch-thrower (must be male!) 😃 I think this ear looks really damaged and we can see it in different positions. Also the face does not really look like Nakula. Although the bright mask also includes a flat nose, the brows look more straight.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!

here I am, sorry for the delay. Great to see all the details you talked about.

I agree with you girls. The damage in DBJuv07's ear looks bigger and more in the middle level, while in Nakula and DBJuv04 it is located in the upper part.

I would vote to do the match between Nakula and DBJuv04, but it is true that I can not see that irregularity in the right ear on some videos from Nakula.... @Boleyn, from which video did you take the screenshot?

Thanks!

Posted

Hi Paula

Screenshot Nakula is from ACP00083qh That's the video Anland was referring to.
    Screenshot DBJuv04 is from ACP0007h5r

Posted

It is even difficult to see the cut in this video ( ACP00083qh), or at least to see it all the time (when the ear is visible), so could happen the same in the other videos of Nakula, that we just don't see the cut even if it is there.

What do you think??

Posted

That's possible, I think. I can look into it a bit deeper, maybe I'll find some more if you need more proof?

Posted

Would help us definitely 😃
    I will try later too

Posted