Chimp & See Talk

Jaman--Dark male

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

In this thread Do we know this group? @lauraklynn opened I tried to find out the identity of the first chimp in video ACP000ccey - to no avail. The pics of RSMale05 are just too dark to propose a match and I think RSMale05 is not as massive as this guy here. He's got a small looking, dark face with a round protruding muzzle, the mouth small and a bit open. The eyes are close together, the brows fairly straigth with probably some gray hairs. The ears can barely be seen since the fur is long and dense so I think they are quite close to the head and rather small. He's got a small balding spot on his forehead and a rather thick, fleshy nose high up on the muzzle.

enter image description here

Then I stumbled upon this video ACP000cenp with a group of males, the last three identified as #waldemar #Zeke and #Nuka But also here, the first one walking towards the camera is an obviously unknown male. I think this could also be our guy described above. He's got all the same traits. The only think I'm not sure about is the bald spot since I can't see it clearly in these pics. But I think the rest is quite obvious, including the constantly opened small muzzle.

So I would like to propose a match between those two nice guys.
    Opinions? Thanks! 😃

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Looks like a match to me, @Boleyn! Would you like to propose a name? 😄

Posted

Thanks @maureenmccarthy I definitely would like to name this handsome chimp. Let me sleep over it to find an apt name!

Posted

Back with a name for this beautiful and strong chimp: I'd like to call him Jaman which means friend in Swahili.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Jaman, that's a cool name for this fellow!

Posted

Great name--thanks @Boleyn! 😄

Posted

I think we see Jaman again in ACP000cezd (approaching the seated male and in grooming interaction) and ACP000bija (first male). Also the 2nd to last in ACP000bzsg with Emery following as the last one. Do you agree?

Posted

Also, I have been looking again at ACP000cc49 and ACP000cc4a and I now see them differently than when I first gave them the temporary IDs. I think the first male in the sequence (in ACP000cc49) is Jaman (he had been tagged as Sonas) and that RSMale05 actually is Sonas...

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to maureenmccarthy's comment.

??? cannot follow - the first male in ACP000cc49 is RSMale05, no?

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I think the chimp closest to the camera at the end of ACP000cc49 is the same chimp at the beginning of ACP000cc4a. In 4a that chimp is marked as Sonas, if I'm understanding the tagging correctly. I'm assuming RSMale05 is the first chimp you see in ACP000cc49. That may be Jaman but I need to look at him more. I'm not sure who RSUnclear01 is supposed to be since I think Sonas is the chimp that is coming right after RSMale05.

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I think the chimp in question in ACP000ccey and ACP000cenp is somewhat piloerect in both videos which makes him look bigger than he may be. The chimps in rest of the videos look more relaxed so appear smaller.

I can see what you mean in videos ACP000cezd and ACP000bzsg and I think that the chimp you've identified may also be Jaman. I'm not so sure about ACP000bija but I think that is because the lighting is a little different in that one.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to vestigial's comment.

Hi @vestigial, I will look later again. If I remember right RSUnclear01 is RSMale05 (sex wasn't clear first).

Posted

That's what I thought after looking again at the initial videos of Jaman. He really seems to be piloerect and therefore looks so fluffy.

Let's compare the chimps in question:

RSMale05 / (RsUnclear01) is the one in front in ACP000cc49 and the first in ACP000cc4a

The pics from the video are not so clear. Here's a screen shot just when he starts to move again:

Next is the first male in ACP000bija

and Jaman in ACP000cenp

My conclusion would be that the male in ACP000bija really is Jaman like proposed by @maureenmccarthy. Narrow face, long open muzzle, high nose, but with RSMale05 I'm still not sure. His muzzle and nose seem to look differently than those of Jaman but maybe it's just the different ligth and angle?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

In my notes I've been referring to Jaman as the "cartoon faced" chimp, with his really long upper lip and the way he holds his mouth in a little "O" shape a lot, and that big button nose. I also noted his bottom lip is a pale color when hanging open.

Screenshots from confirmed Jaman clips showing his facial features:

ACP000cenp

ACP000cezd

ACP000bzsg

Posted

I agree with these.
    I will add the Jaman tag to:

If anyone disagrees with any of those, let me know!

The tags in ACP000cc49 and ACP000cc4a got really confusing and it took me some time to figure out what happened, so let me make sure we are all on the same page. When I went back to these videos and looked again, I found that Sonas was tagged in the first video, ACP000cc49, only. That means that when I confirmed Sonas as a match and tagged the videos we had found with him, I accidentally tagged the first chimp in the whole line of chimps as Sonas. This was incorrect, he is actually the second chimp in line. I tagged the second chimp in line (who appears in both videos) as RSUnclear01/RSMale05.

So for discussion now, we are confirming that the first chimp in the sequence, and the one who only appears in ACP000cc49, is Jaman. Sorry for the confusion! 😃

Posted

Nice Jaman collection @Snorticus, thanks 😄

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000cb38 Is the guy to the right of Waldemar in this clip Jaman? He has that long face and the tiny hidden ears. Hard to see him well in the previews.

Posted

I agree! I've tagged him, thanks!

Posted

ooohhh...all the nice Jaman pics flew away. @Snorticus is it possible for you to find a permanent place for him and the other chimp pics?

Now as it is clear that the first chimp in this video ACP000cexg is Saor can we have a look at the one coming down from the tree? Isn't this our fluffy friend Jaman?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I am reposting Jaman screenshots because he has such a great face. I think the tech issues are fixed. @Boleyn can you see the images now? ACP000bhy5 (second chimp) ACP000bhy6 and ACP000bija (first chimp) and ACP000cc49 (first chimp in line)

ACP000bhy5

ACP000bhy6

ACP000bija

ACP000cc49

ACP000cc49

Posted

Thanks @Snorticus 😄

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

In the spirit of difficult to ID Jaman videos (see here 😉), I think ACP000cc1p is him too. He's super fluffy, as Jaman often seems to be, and you can see his long face. As he approaches, the eye area also looks like him to me.

Posted

Oh geez...I think that is him but I'm not sure. I have been wanting to put together a Jaman vs. Sonas post so we can really hash out the differences between them and then double-check all our tagged videos of them, but I haven't found the time. If anyone wants to tackle this, feel free 😃 (It might not help with much with this particular video but who knows...)

Posted

I think ACP000cbcw is Jaman and Swing

ACP000bv19 looks like Jaman and Nuka

Posted

Okay, I tagged them in the 2 videos above. Also, thanks to the Jaman/Sonas Megathread I am more confident that ACP000cc1p is Jaman so I tagged him there too.

Posted

I think ACP000c4li is Jaman and Nuka again.

Posted

I think ACP000ceop / ACP000cf3y is Jaman -- see his butt collage here for comparison.

Edit: I think this is Jaman too in ACP000ccbh

Posted

Yep, I am in agreement with all of these! Does anyone else want to weigh in?

Posted

Okay, I tagged Jaman in the videos above (plus also Nuka in ACP000c4li). Additional input welcome! #convincingbuttcollage

Posted

@AnLand found (or at least tagged) this video ACP000cc5d
    I think he looks very much like Jaman with his nice rear and we can shortly see his long, dark face from the side with the open muzzle.

Posted

Agree!

Posted

Yep, that sure does look convincingly like a Jaman butt. I'm going to go ahead and tag--additional comments welcome!

Posted

The guy in front of La Presidente in ACP000cf2k and ACP000cea8 looks like Jaman to me, no good previews.

Posted

Definitely an adult male (scrotum visible), plus the dark face and slightly drooping lip all seem to fit! Any other input?

Posted

Okay, no other input and I agree so I have tagged Jaman in ACP000cf2k and ACP000cea8. 😃

Posted

I came across ACP000bzxd and thought this looks like it could be our friend Jaman again. Thoughts?

Posted