David--Big male, yellow-grey back with black mark in the middle

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I'm positive these guys are the same:

ACP000bgs9 ACP000bgsb ACP000bgse ACP000bgsg,

ACP000bj8u ACP000bj8w,

ACP000cok3 ACP000cok4,

ACP000bmfn ACP000bmfo ACP000bmfp,

ACP000bjxk ACP000bjxl,

tagged by @Snorticus @hoothoot @luca-chimp @Dana23 @Mercury82 @Boleyn @Corcaroli @rcooley001 @zoogirl1 @AnLand @Pelo

Big male, yellow-grey on the back with a weird black mark in the center, bum is pink and looks almost like an anestrous female. I think there's something wrong with the top of his right ear, but it's hard to tell exactly what. Dark face, small beard that comes up over the corners of his mouth, big bald spot on the forehead.

enter image description here

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

That back is very distinctive. I agree with your list of matches. He also has an unusual somewhat pointed protrusion under his chin - Possibly some longer hair or a bump?

ACP000bmfn

ACP000cok3

ACP000bgse

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Interesting! Reminds me of this gorilla (she is a zoo gorilla and it's said to be a harmless growth):

Posted

I spotted him in one more, but the previews are terrible. ACP000cor9

Posted

I think he's in ACP000c7sf as well -- right around :08 you can see the mark on his back.

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Yep, I agree with all of these. Looks like a pretty straightforward match. Does anyone else want to weigh in? Otherwise we will confirm it and find a name.

Posted

Okay so it looks we need a name then. 😃 @puddock has been very active so I will ask if he/she would like to name this male.

Posted

• puddock by puddock

I'm honoured and very excited to have been asked to name this wonderful chap. Can I suggest David? No special reason (except maybe after David Attenborough, the TV naturalist) but I wanted to choose something gentle after seeing him sitting under that tree listening to the thunder and David seemed to fit.

Posted

Wonderful name, @puddock ! Thank you! 😄 I've added him to the known chimps list.

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Woo hoo! Great! Thanks 😃

Posted

He looks very much like a David to me : )

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Congrats on your first opportunity to name a chimp @puddock! Good choice!

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

David (with the suggestion of Attenborough) ...I like that very much 😃 He is so gentle and placid sitting and listening to the nearcoming thunder ...good choice

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Thanks very much everyone 😃

Posted

Looks like David in ACP000blev, tagged by @BenCornelius

Posted

Hi @jwidness - can you please specify which chimp and why you think it's David? Thanks!

Posted

He's the guy in front of the rolling chimp. Large triangular bald spot, small nose, somewhat curvy protruding brows, grey back, and it looks to me like he's got some kind of discoloration or scarring to his upper lip on the right side of his face.

Imgur

Posted

Okay, so you mean the second chimp then. The strange discoloration/scarring is distinctive and is visible in confirmed David videos so I would support this suggestion. Any other thoughts?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Based on the confirmed back view of David in ACP000cok4, I would assume that he is also the adult male in ACP000cnja. The darker spot is not really seen, but the rest fits very well and I don't know who else is so yellowish gray.

Posted

Hm, I think David's dark spot should be visible from this angle. To me, it looks like it could be Saor. Compare ACP000cid2

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I find the grayness in this male much more yellowish and also more localized. Your screenshot from Saor shows very well that he has an overall gray lower back reaching way to the hips, while David has more a yellowish-gray area on the back. His hair on the sides is dark, not gray.

Posted

Any more thoughts on ACP000blev?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I can agree on David as the second chimp in this video. Maureen already confirmed it so that should be ok, right?

As for the others: I'm not so familiar with the other group at RS and the video is quite dark. So except for the very bald chimp I recognise no one there. I'm at a complete loss regarding this female which obviously carries a ventral infant or is she just hiding anything else on her belly?

Posted

As far as I can tell, no one has disagreed with David in ACP000blev, so I will tag him there. Not sure about the others...

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I´m not sure about ACP000cnja being David. I agree with @jwidness that the black patch on David´s back would be seen.

compare the guy in ACP000cnja :

with David´s back in ACP000cok4 :

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The rear of the younger male in ACP000cnja looks like Mutton's in ACP000bj8s and there is with him another adult male with a gray back like the one discussed here. That is not much, but maybe it helps. As for the younger male at least size and body build fits to Mutton as well.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I agree with you Anja, I think those rears belong to the same guy (Mutton). The anal area is distinctively light (compare it with the last individual´s, in the right pic, behind Mutton):

Posted

Okay, I support Mutton in ACP000cnja and tagged him there. I did not tag the first guy since we are lacking consensus on that.

Posted