Chimp & See Talk

(robust) Henry

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I think everyone agrees that skinny Henry and robust Henry aren't a match, so I'm putting this in a different thread. If anyone wants it organized differently, I can put it somewhere else instead! Here's the link back to the original Henry thread.

I think I spotted robust Henry in two videos tagged by @Orohena and @dpellerin

ACP000aw71 and ACP000aw72

He's robust with dark hair, dark face with even tone, baggy eye, wrinkled right cheek, grey beard, upturned corner of the mouth that makes it look like he's smiling just a bit. Right ear is big and round, butt is dark and without a large protuberance.

enter image description here

for reference robust Henry is in ACP000at55 and ACP000at56:

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

oh @jwidness am I glad that there might be another robust Henry. I was really beginning to think we had seen a fata morgana 😃

Your proposal seems to fit quite well. Same fur and color, same black curl on top of his head and also the back looks alike. The only thing that bothers me is the right ear. While Henry I seems to have no horizontal ridge in the ear at all, Henry II does have something that looks like a ridge. But once again: It could be just the light playing tricks on me. Such a shame we don't have a frontal view!

Posted

From this angle we can at least see a little dent in the ear of Henry I. Maybe that's all we see in Henry II ?

Posted

Although there's not really much to see I think this one might also be robust Henry: ACP000awf1 Video found by @orohena and refound by @Dana23.

I'm not entirely sure but at least size, fur and face color seem to fit. And I don't like to "lose" the video so I'm posting it here 😃

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

@jwidness and @Boleyn , you could both certainly be on to something here... there is a certain likeness to the original "Robust Henry" and the videos you've posted!

I'm hesitant to call it a match however in absence of a really good identical characteristic (the face would certainly help!) that removes all doubt. I've already learned my lesson with Skinny/Robust Henry! I started to believe that the first set @jwidness posted had just that... on the right side of the face to the side of the nose I almost thought we could see a scar (and perhaps it really is). Original robust Henry also has something similar, although it appears just to be a wrinkle of sorts in the Original video... something not uncommon in chimps and therefore not a good characteristic to use. I don't dare say we have a match to the Robust Henry videos based on that alone.

That being said, I'm going to re-organize the known chimps page to reflect we may have two Henry's, but keep them in the same section, similar to when we add a/b/c to the temporary names. Since robust and skinny have already seemed to stick, I'll use those. Hopefully this can help us clarify any potential confusion!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Agree with @northernlimitptv that I see likeness. What do you think about the darker scar/spot with uneven ridging/wrinkling to the right side of robust-Henry's nose that @jwidness remarks on above? It might not be a clincher but it seems to be there on both chimp's right cheek areas, and though angle of view changes the shape I think it's still visible.

One other thing - the right profile of the muzzles below is shaped and colored in a very similar way. A very gradual slope ffrom the bridge of the nose down to the chin, reminds me of of the side of an egg.

ACP000aw71 Preview 8 - Wrinkled cheek scar, white chin whiskers, a fluffy swatch of hair sweeps down beside the ear & fluffs over the ear canal slightly. He's robust, has dark black fur, a long fringe of hair at the base of his skulls flairs out where it meets his back.

ACP000at56 Preview 1 - Another angle of view of robust-Henry cheek scar.

ACP000at55 Preview 14 - Compare to robust-Henry cheek scar.

ACP000at55 Preview 12 - Here is a front view of the right cheek scar.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

I agree with @Boleyn about the ear shape having a fold that is minimized by the angle of view in robust-Henry. I think it does have an inner ridge that can be seen just as he turns at 0:11 in ACP000at55.

If you watch the other chimp's ear as he angles his head in relation to the light in ACP000at56 the ridge almost disappears at about 0:07 so I think that angle of view could possibly account for the ear looking so different.

Posted

Thanks a lot, @Snorticus you're first two stillshots with the comparison of the muzzle is great. It really looks exactly the same and, beeing easter, the egglike description made me laugh.

In the ACP000aw71 Preview 8 one can also see the same shape of his flat nose and the crease of the tear sac.

@Dana23 found this video ACP000awky from a male chimp that looks very much as the one in ACP000aw71 and ACP000aw72 posted by @jwidness.
    Although he goes very quickly down the tree you can see the robust built, black fur and the same back again, with only a little brigther area around the callousy part. ( ACP000ay9j found by @snorticus is a duplicate of ACP000awky)

Once again, I know the quality is not good enough to make a match here but I'd still like to keep those videos together. Hope that's ok?

Posted

I like to add another video ACP000av4c (and ACP000av4e) that I just found to the list of possible robust Henry. This chimp here has the same robust posture, same face and fur color as Henry and the triangle shape baldness on his forehead. This time we see him from the other side. His left ear is nicely rounded and we can also see the brighter muzzle and whitish beard. Brows are regular but not as well seen as in the original Henry videos.

Also the back looks very similar to me with only a small area that is a bit brighter. In the backview we can also see his right ear which doesn't show any irregularities from this angle.

Henry's behind to compare:

I'm off for 2 weeks now but looking forward to your comments when I'll be back! Thanks!!

Posted

I think it's also robust Henry in ACP000aw3n

Posted

And I think this is him again too: ACP000b9bc

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Sorry for my hesitation @Boleyn , but I think I'm finally convinced enough to say all the videos described here are a match! The likeness in the face is strong enough on it's own, not to mention the other characteristics that have been proposed to support it. Are you ok then to keep robust Henry as Henry, to keep things simple?

and a big big CONGRATS and THANK YOU to everyone who helped contribute to both Henry discussions! What an enormous team effort 😄

Posted

Of course, @northernlimitptv, I'm absolutley happy about your proposal to keep this very handsome chimp called Henry, thanks a lot!
    And a little 😗 from my Henry at home! 😄

Posted