Chimp & See Talk

AV Juv02 or 02b?

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

I just stumbled over two videos made in the same spot as the videos of AV Juv01 (the nut-cracker) on 2015/01/08: ACP000fwgx ACP000fwgy

Do you think it's possible that the juvenile in them is AV Juv02? He seems to have the same fold on the right ear and round eyebrows and also looks similar from the back as you can see in this video of AV Juv02: ACP000fw73 (2014/12/18)

PLUS he does the same scratching as AV Juv02b in ACP000e43n (2014/12/29)

Anyway, even if it's not the same chimp:
    It's remarkable that it's in the same spot again PLUS in the "new" clips you can hear the sounds of what I would say is another chimp trying to crack nuts - which Juv02 does, too in the clips ACP000fw71 and ACP000fw72...

Side remark: The video sequence right before the "new clips" is also interesting with a juvenile (AV Juv03 or Juv 04?) being taught how to crack nuts by an old male chimp (Filou?) (2014/12/25)
    ACP000fwgt ACP000fwgu ACP000fwgv ACP000fwgw

Here I am really just speculating, as I have only been watching the dates until know and have not had the time to compare the traits...

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Mercury82's comment.

It looks like there are some definite favorite nut cracking spots that they return to over time! That male seems so patient with the juvenile in the new clips. The chimp with the two bald spots we've been talking about and just started trying to sort out and I'm confused as to who matches who at this point.

https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000s/discussions/DCP000182p

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!

puf, the juveniles start to be difficult, as always!!

I deffenitly see the the similarities between ACP000fwgx and AVJuv02, but AVJuv03 (and AVJuv02b) are very similar too.

I find the faces of AVJuv03 and AVJuv02b rounder than AVjuv02 or this one from ACP000fwgx. What do you think??

if we think he is more similar to AVJuv02 I will add this juv as AVJuv02c (as possible match with AVJuv02).

Thanks!!

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82 in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks for the link to the other discussion. It seems I was right with my speculation about Juv03 and Filou - at least @luca-chimp posted the same sequence there a little later 😃

@PaulDG I would be so proud if it really was a possible match 😃

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Mercury82's comment.

Hi Mercury.
    Your proposal is that ACP000fwgx ACP000fwgy is AVJuv02b right?. I agree, and also that AVJuv03 is the same

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

Either that or AVJuv 02 if they are not the same.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

as is not clear for now I am going to add this juvenile from ACP000fwgx as AVJuv03b

Thanks!

Posted