Chimp & See Talk

Baba and friends

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

Series ACP000fttp, ACP000fttq, ACP000fttr, ACP000ftts

There's certainly a lot to see here and I'll take a crack at IDing some of these guys. It's hard to get a good look at the first in line, but I'm pretty sure the 2nd in line is Baba:

I'm not sure, but 3rd in line looks like Filou, maybe:

In the next clip we get a look at the juveniles: The 1st one has a decent still, the 2nd one is quite blurry

We also get a good look at another male. I'm not sure on the ID for this one either, but it might be Caruso (and/or AVmale02b):

In the next clip, we see what looks like an older juvenile with a rather distinctive balding pattern on her forehead:

This carries over into the final clip in the series, which shows another chimp followed by a female carrying a dorsal infant.

This female looks like she could be a match for AVFem01, as she has the same flat brow with rounded edges and a similar "smile":

My best guess for these two is AVFem07 & AVInf07, mainly because of the lighter pigmentation around the female's eyes and non-protruding ears of the infant, but I'm not very confident about this one:

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I agree with Baba, with Filou (you can see at least the right ear damage) and the juvenile with the "distinctive balding pattern" is Eleanor - based on this balding and the damaged left ear that is well seen here. I will look at the others later.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Hey @lauraklynn, amazing!

Like @AnLand, I agree with you:
    Baba, Filow, Eleanor (thanks @AnLand), and I am pretty sure that this last young lady is Fem01 (I think I can see Fem01`s horizontal wrinkles under her right eye). fem07 and inf07 seem a reasonable match to me as well (nipples, face coloration, infant´s size, round ears...).

About Caruso, I am not completely sure: I think Caruso´s face is a bit wider, don´t you think so? I think he is closer to AVMale02b rather than Caruso.

So to summarize, in this series we have (in order of appearance):

Baba

Filou

"X"

"Y"

Caruso/male02?

Eleanor

Fem01

Fem07&Inf07

Only Caruso I am not sure of...

If we found a match to fem01 and fem07&inf we are going to need some names 😉

What do you think about "X" being Marlyn (can´t get to see the back spots) and "Y" being Kamala?

Posted

It's rare I do so well with IDs. 😃

I had initially thought that the 5th in line might be Eleanor, but then suffered from a lack of confidence and deleted the comment. If others agree with that assessment however, then I do as well.

I feel like the fourth in line is more of a match to male02b than Caruso, but noticed he was a proposed match to Caruso, so I included them both. We probably need to sort out the Caruso/male02/male02b IDs more in order to make a definitive decision.

I'll look again later at X and Y to see if I can hash out their IDs better.

Posted

So I looked closer at juveniles "X" and "Y." X doesn't look like Marlyn to me, though it might be Kamala (she has a sort of vertical crease below her nose and the same sort of widow's peak look to the brows), but I'm not entirely convinced it's her (X's mouth and nose look smaller to me).

Y doesn't look like either Kamala or Marlyn. The only potential match I see is AVfem01b, but the only clip isn't very good and I can't tell if Y has a swelling or not.

From ACP000fttq

Juvenile X:

X actually sort of resembles Raj's infant too, but I think X looks older.

Juvenile Y:

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

thanks @lauraklynn 😃

X certainly looks like Raj´s infant, but then I would expect to see Raj walking too.

About Y being AVFem01, I think fem01 is bigger than Y (Fem01 looks like an adolescent to me, while Y looks more like a juvenile).

for the moment, X is AVJuv10 and Y is AVJuv11...

Do we all agree that the male walking behind AVJuv11 is AVMale02?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Just to help a bit make up our minds, I have listed some individuals that have been proposed as match to AVJuv10 and AVJuv11 and some new to think about:
    enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

ooohhh... nice youngster compilation @NuriaM!

I think Juv02, 06 and 10 look very much like a match. Not entirely sure about 02b although the brows look the same. maybe the broader muzzle is just due to the different angle?

Maybe we could add 03b to this proposal as well, same narrow muzzle and mouth, brows, built and size are consistent but still hard to say because the overall light is quite bad.

Posted

I agree with @Boleyn that Juv02, 06 and 10 have quite a few similarities. My sentiments are the same on juv02b as well. I would definitely say juv10 looks more like 02 and 06 than Kamala (or Marlyn). I can see some similarities to 03b as well, but (s)he is too far away and dark to really make a good comparison.

Posted

thanks!!

I agree that Juv02 and Juv06 could be the same one...both have sort of a " distracted " expression. Their brows look thick, round and short, with long face and oval muzzle. However, I´m not that sure about Juv10...I can´t see the vertical crease or line that @lauraklynn talked about above the nose in Juv02 and Juv06, what do you think?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Seems as if I let myself drag away a bit by your nice collage, @NuriaM. 😃

I see the difference now between the little fellows, esp. the crease of Juv10 does not fit with either 02 and 06. So I looked a bit deeper into it and I think I have to be the killjoy now. Here's a comparison of the ears between 02, 02b and 06.

I think we can now exclude also a match between 02 and 06 because the ears are clearly different. 02 has a nice round rim with a horizontal elevation in the lower part and pointing downward. 06's ear is broader at the top and not as round shaped. There seems to be a notch but maybe it's just some hair. The horizontal part though is clearly in the upper part of the ear and quite straigt.

Good news for AVJuv02b though: I think he definitively is a match to AVJuv02. The ear shows the same shape, the horizontal elevation is at the same place but from a slightly different angle, thus it seems to be bigger. Also quite obvious are the very bright brows and the part around nose/upper muzzle in both pics plus a white spot on the right wrist of both of them.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Sorry for coming late here, I missed that proposal about AVFem07 (now Willa). My main doubt is that her infant is here in July 2014 already that big and looks so small in February and March 2015 in the other confirmed videos. The female looks not that massive and her chin seems to be less gray (she only has beard, but not a gray muzzle). I think this female here is younger than Willa.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Already at Dawn-Bird and now again at Aged-Violet I learned that the females look very much alike (last mistake see Makena thread). So I tend to agree with you @AnLand on this not beeing Willa. I don't know how much infants grow within 7 months but they should at least not shrink 😃 and this infant IS bigger than Willa's infant on the log in Feburary.

In the known series about Willa ACP000eml7 ACP000eml9 ACP000emla was one video not yet found and tagged. It's ACP000emlb. In this video of February 2015 we see an older juvenile girl joining Willa and infant. Maybe we should lookout for her too in other videos, but in the one of July 2014 Willa is not accompanied by this juvenile.

ACP000emlb juvenile joining Willa

In ACP000emlr we get a good look at her infant. To me it looks a bit different from the infant in ACP000ftts. The brows are differently shaped and broader and there's also a notch in the rigth eyebrow.

Posted

thanks ladies,

@Boleyn you are right, infants don´t shrink 😃.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I see that you are getting adicted to collages as well 😉 they really help.

you are right, inf02 and inf06´s ears do look different. And juv02 and juv02b are really alike. Their right wrist white spot is decisive to me.

if no one disagrees, I would say we have found another match here: AVJuv02 and AVJuv02b...thanks @Boleyn!.

If I don´t miss anything from your last posts, AVJuv02 and AVJuv02b were already proposed as matches, along with AVJuv03 and AVJuv03b. It would mean that we are talking about Marlyn (formerly AVJuv03) right?

I´m not sure about AVJuv03b being Marlyn...I can´t see the two distinctive white spots on its back 😕 .

Posted

sorry if this is getting confusing, as AVJuv02 and AVJuv02b discussion belongs to a different thread and not to "Baba and friends" series, but I just wanted to close that discussion about those juvs. with the help of @Boleyn´s nice collage.

Posted

Hi all,

sorry for being a bit tiresome with this issue, but I was again thinking of AVJuv10 and AVJuv11 being Maryn and Sabirah. My reasons:

Marlyn + AVJuv10: they both have a while spot in the middle of their heads. Size, face pigmentation, ear folds fit.

Sabirah + AVJuv11: no baldness, slightly long face, quite staight brows, same size.

And they follow Filou.

left ACP000fwfi , right ACP000fttq

What do you think?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Thanks Nuria!

Posted