Chimp & See Talk

males

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Not good face view but I think we can identify those males.

• ACP000e5kr: male (Baron?), male (Caruso?), male (Magnus?), Filou

• ACP000e5ks: male (Caruso?) leaving, Filou, male (Magnus?), male (Baba?) entering

• ACP000e5ku: male (Baba?), male (Magnus?), Marlyn (2 spots), juv

• ACP000e5kw: male (Baba?), male (Magnus?) on the back, juv

The first one with the black back and big bald I think is Baron. The next one, very fluffy fur and grayish back could be Caruso. Right after, another big male with fluffy fur but darker should be Magnus. Then Filou enters, his back and ear are unique.

And the last one should be Baba. Younger than the rest, and light brown ear.

That's my proposal, what do you think?

Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hi Paula, I agree on all of them 😃

Baron: although it's all movement we can see that there's something with the right ear (his nick) and the muzzle is brighter than e.g. Magnus'.

Caruso and Filou are obvious, also Baba with the light brown ears, and finally Magnus' backside: the callousy cushion looks the same as in other backside videos of him. I'm getting to know this thight bum quite well by now 8) 😄

Posted

Cool Heidi, thanks a lot!

Posted

I forgot to add the "(pending)" in the title of this thread :p

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I still can only whole-heartedly support the match to Filou. I have no doubt on this. I could agree on Caruso as well as he seems to be more gray on the back than the others. For Baron, Magnus, & Baba, it's speculation for me. I cannot see anything disctinctive.

For instance: in this screenshot from Magnus from the known chimps' list, I cannot see this prominent callousy cushions

enter image description here

Suggestion in this thread: Magnus (left) and Baba (right)

enter image description here

Posted

I am just using the thread for two other male backs.

ACP000f0kr - patchy gray and I get a glimpse of the ear damage: should be Filou

ACP000gh5y / ACP000gh5z - if we assume that Caruso is the only other one with a gray back, then the second male walking after Sabirah should be Caruso. Filou follows with Marlyn and Kamala (already identified) in ACP000gh60, so it's not him.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Not speculation in my opinion. I've seen many videos of the backs of these males, I feel very familiar with them. But it's also fine if we don't close the matches, although @Boleyn agreed with the matches too.

Posted

Hi Paula, I did not say that you speculate. I said that I would need to speculate here and I don't want to do this. I am not sure enough about this. Sorry if my comment wasn't clearly understandable.

Posted

No problem. I wanted to make clear than I feel confident about the matches.

It would be ok with you if we close the matches? I mean, you are not sure but maybe you not against the matches, and Heidi and I are convinced

Posted

I think in the end it does not really matter. All males are present here and apart from behavioral questions that are probably mute here, - except for the definitely identified Filou and his kindergarten - it does not matter for your project who is who. Or? All males are in the same event, that is all we want to know here. (And yeah, I am not against this.)

Posted

If we don't know who is who, we could not write the names, so they won't be "identified"

Posted