Chimp & See Talk

Kiana and Loika: Black, wood-eating female with unique face and offspring

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

The following clips I think do all show the same female:
    ACP000drwr first found by @therrim
    ACP000drwt found by @scrompie
    ACP000dsjn found by @charly03
    ACP000dsay found by @Batfan

The female has long black hair all over. She has a somehow crumpled look to her face probably caused by the short distance between mouth and nose. Muzzle is a bit brighter than the rest of the face. The nose is flat and wide, the eyes deep-set in a black mask. Ears are small, round and standing out a little, probably no damage (at least I can't see any). The balding is only a stripe on her forehead. In ACP000dsjn the balding seems to be a bit wider but I think that's just the full light. Only the shiny thing in the middle is actually bald.

She has a small infant with a big white tuft. Probably also the juvenile belongs to her.

from ACP000drwr

enter image description here

The following pic is from ACP000dsjn. We can also see the infant and juvenile in this movie.

Also in ACP000dsay I think we can see again the same female/infant with the juvenile a bit in the back.

the infant's big pointy tuft from ACP000drwt

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks @Boleyn!

first, these two:
    ACP000drwr / ACP000drwt belong to this sequence:

ACP000dshn
    ACP000dsho
    ACP000dshp
    ACP000dshq
    ACP000drwq
    ACP000drwr

where we have GSJuv02 and GSUNCLEAR02, we don´t see "the knob or something on the right side of his head" in the last clip of the sequence, so it must have been some debris 😃

Posted

Second:

ACP000dsay /
    ACP000dsgj /
    ACP000dsjn /
    ACP000dsbr

I agree that the female on the ground is the female in ACP000drwr (...) . This might mean that the juvenile is GSJuv02 again. But I don´t think the other female (now GSFem13 + GSInf13) is GSUNCLEAR02; her head is whiter, triangular, brows straighter...what do you think?

How many matches do we have here?

2 (females + infants) or

3 (females + infants + juveniles)

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Sorry, Nuria, I didn't realize that we already had a series there but when seeing her again with GSFem13 and not with GSUNCLEAR02 that led me to the match proposal. With other words: yes GSFem13 and GSUnclear02 are certainly not the same chimp 😃

I would match the black female on the ground, her infant and also GSjuv02 because s/he really seems to belong to her. Additionally I think I can see the same long hair in the neck and a triangular bald spot on the forehead. Size seems to fit as well.

Posted

Thanks!

So we have a triple match here:

and:

and the juvenile in ACP000dsbr

I absolutely agree with all three matches, you have found a complete family 😃

what do others think?

Posted

Anyone want to weigh on on this proposal, please? Thanks 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

Agree with this match. The face on that shaggy juvenile with the huge nostrils (like her mother's) is really great!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks @Snorticus!!

so now wee need another two namers, for the female and for the juvenile 😒

What do you think @Boleyn? you have proposed this match and you still have one naming oportunity...

Posted

Thank you @Snorticus for weighing in on this 😃

@NuriaM I would like to save my last naming opportunity for Green-Snowflake a little bit longer and I'm happy to pass this opportunity on to some volunteers.

I just could classify another video with 6 chimps and I think they show this family too including Blondie and her infant in the back. ACP000dsff.
    Althoug we have no face shot of the mother I think the juvenile is quite clear as well as the constellation of this family. (Could not make out the date of this clip yet)

Posted

thanks @Boleyn, I would propose @therrim and @scrompie , as they found the videos.

As for ACP000dsff , you are right, this is the same family 😃

Posted

So @therrim and @scrompie , we need two names for this female and for this juvenile in the videos that you have found:

ACP000drwr (...) , ACP000dsay (...) and ACP000dsff

would you like to help us?

Thanks!!

Posted

The female with the infant on her back looks like our black lady. ACP000dr2b
    She usually looks a bit crumpled when seeing her face more from above like at the end of this clip, but in this video we can see her face also from another angle as before. I think she looks quite noble 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

This female and the cute long-haired juvenile really need names! They are so distinctive looking.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Yes, Heidi she is our "black lady". And Dawna you are right, these guys need a name right now! .

It´s a pity that @scrompie doesn´t seem to be around anymore, but we need help here.

I would like to ask @chia89 for help.

@chia89, although you didn´t participate directly in this discussion, you have been very active at GS and helped us a lot, so would you help us here again? would you give us a name for this special black lady seen in
    ACP000drwr (...) , ACP000dsay (...), ACP000dsff and ACP000dr2b ? 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Wow ! I really fell lucky and spoiled to have this opportunuty. I would like to know what i need to do to give name to a Chimp. Can i chose between de juvenile and the momy ? Best regards 😃 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

My son will be so excited (5 years old) when i will tell him ! He is still sleeping but should wake-up soon. I will let him choose a name ! 😃 By the way.....ì am impressed for all your work here ! It is amasing !!!!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to therrim's comment.

Can´t wait!! 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Hahaha.....my son is a real tornado since I told him the good news ! So do we also have the opportunity to choose between the money and the juvenile ?

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Oups....i mean momy !!! Loll (automatic corrector)

Posted

sure! to make it a bit easier for your little tornado,

here the female (from ACP000dshn):

and here the juvenile (from ACP000dshq) :

choose the one you like, think of a name and make it public right here...I will do the rest 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

He choose the juvenile. Is it a male or female ??

Posted

It´s a beautiful lady...look in ACP000drcz , on the left, when she stands up (you might see it better if you play the video, right at the beginning):

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Great ! 😃 He choose Loika ! Or Lady-Loika !! (My son's name is Loïc 😃 !!

Posted

• therrim by therrim

.....and my son is not a tornado anymore....but a Tsunami !!! Lollll

Posted

Wonderful! what a beautiful name for a little tsunami (is it French? Louis??) and for a beautiful lady chimp...

Choose whatever you like Loika or Lady-Loika, both are great 😃

I will post here her whole series, so that you can collect them.

THANKS A MILLION, @therrim and Loïc 😉

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Whouuuhouuuu ! So we will go for Loika !! ...yes it is french ! We are French Canadian from Québec. We live in the Laurentian in a village called St-sauveur-des-Monts. You can Google it 😃 ! We actually are in a 10 days holiday in Florida ! 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Where are you from .???

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to therrim's comment.

Loika is an excellent name for this youngster!

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Nice ! I'm very happy you like it ! We will follow this pretty Loika !!! 😃

Posted

I love Loika !! Thanks a lot @therrim 😃

Here Loika´s videos

(I´m Spanish 😉 )

Posted

Hey guys, I have discovered that GSUNCLEAR02 is a male!!!

here: ACP000drcz see sec.7

and Anja suggested here ACP000dsdg that he might be Bohr, and I agree with her, what do you guys think?

Here we have Bohr (right) from ACP000drx0

and GSUNCLEAR02 from ACP000dsax

I don´t get to see Bohr´s white spot in GSUNCLEAR02 very clearly, but here ACP000drcd you see sort of a whitish spot on the right side of GSUNCLEAR02´s head:

I support this 😃

Posted

• therrim by therrim

Thanks for the videos NuriaM ! 😃 My son is so happy !!!

Posted

😗

Posted

Yes, I agree with Bohr for GSUnclear02. His left brow seems to be a little brighter as the right one and looks somehow tilted upwards I think because of that brighter area. The nose and bald spot look like Bohrs' as well.

Posted

Thanks Heidi!

Posted

It´s such a pity that @chia89 is not around anymore, but I desperately need a name for this female :S

So I would love to ask @MingMing for a name.

@MingMing, you didn´t participate in this thread, but you have been very active in C&S. Besides (please correct me if I´m wrong) you only named one chimp at site 12-Dawn Bird (Rai), right?

what do you think, would you give us a name for this very distinctive female? (she is Loika´s mom):

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

Thanks for thinking of me NuriaM!
    I actually named Gube from Quite Wood 1 as well. He only appeared in one video series though.
    But of course I would love to give her a name! 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to MingMing's comment.

Thanks!!!! can´t wait 😃

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

I would like to name her Kiana 😃

Posted

I'm so glad this special lady finally got a name - and such a lovely one too, thanks @MingMing!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to MingMing's comment.

I´m sooo happy too!!

thanks so much MingMing, Kiana is a gorgeous name 😃

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

Glad you like it 😃

Posted

Some more of Kiana and family here ACP000dr8u and here ACP000dr6x

Posted

yesssss

Posted

@Corcaroli found this video ACP000ds2c and I think it shows Loika in front. The female and infant should then be Kiana and her infant.

Posted

Thanks Heidi, I agree on Loika.

Also, in ACP000ds2c at sec. 0 , the adult female´s face side view looks like Kiana´s too. Infants size fit.

Posted

@Snorticus and @charly03 found more of Kiana and family and Blondie in the back in ACP000dqzd

@Batfan found Kiana and family here ACP000dl2q I'm not sure about the female in front.

Posted

thanks!

Posted

Kiana and family approaching in ACP000dryg

Maybe Bohr behind the log?

Posted

yes, Bohr is confirmed in ACP000dr2b , one minute after ACP000dr2g

thanks!

Posted

LOL Nuria, funny Bohr in dr2g. Maybe you should replace the g with a b 😃 thanks!

Posted

LOL!!!!! 😄

nope, that´s not Bohr in ACP000dr2g , I meant ACP000dryg ...sorry!!!

Posted

In this video ACP000dshn of Kiana and family we can see the infants' back. Anja and I think it might be a boy-chimp 😃 What do you think?

Posted

Hmmm...infants are really hard. Even late infants sex is often tricky to claim as the genitals are barely noticeable.

In this case, if I had to choose, I would say male, but only if a gun was held to my head 😄 .

Posted

@Corcaroli found this video ACP000dkva and commented on Kiana's behaviour: "Very interesting, the adult gives the baby a hand signal to climb up on the log"

I think she'e actually doing exactly this or do we interpret this wrongly?

Posted

yes, Kiana beckons her baby to come closer to her.

Chimps use several gestures to communicate, and we have seen some very interesting ones: remember Yakini and Bohr in ACP000ds79 ?

Also, I remember Nayla from Muddy Frost in ACP0004832 telling her infant "follow me, someone´s watching and I don´t like it".

Very interesting 😃

Posted

Oh, how could I ever forget that Yakini/Bohr thing. that was so impressive!

Thanks for the confirmation, Nuria!

Posted

Bitte 😃

Posted

sorry, I need to edit my comments:

yes, Kiana beckons her baby to come closer to her.

actually, after watching it again, I don´t think it´s a hand signal, but a spit on her hand. I answered here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000v/discussions/DCP0002cpg

sorry, I think the "hand spit" theory makes more sense to me, but let me ask others...

Posted

Kiana and family need your confirmation in ACP000dn0b ACP000dn0c ACP000dn0d

Thanks!

Posted

confirmed 😃

Posted

Anja and I think this is Loika in ACP000dmdo and ACP000dmdq and in the latter Kiana with infant are arriving.

Posted

I agree. I´ve needed some time, but I´m sure you are right. I see Loika´s balding, brows and size clearly. Kiana is a bit harder, but body build, coloration and infant´s size fit too.

Thanks!

Posted

December 19th was quite a busy morning with many different chimps around but clearly starring Eliot as the lead character 😉

Remember that video ACP000droh where he inspected Katie? The juvenile in this series ACP000dr03 ACP000dr04 ACP000dr05 ACP000dr06 looks like Noel and would of course make sense with Katie in the scene.

Some minutes before also TChalla was confirmed. I think it's also him in the following scene with Eliot in ACP000drxm ACP000drxo ACP000drxq ACP000drxs
    The reason why I posted this in the Kiana thread is the last video in this minute. She arrives with GSInf26 and Eliot is obviously very much interested in her. 😃

There are also some videos in between in which not all chimps are identified. May I leave it up to you Nuria, to sort them out, espcially the juveniles?
    Thanks!

Posted

Thanks Heidi, I will short them out 😃

Posted

Actually, according to the sequence, the juvenile in ACP000drxm / ACP000drxo / ACP000drxq / ACP000drxs should be Noel.

I would go for Loika in ACP000droh / ACP000droi / ACP000droj / ACP000ds0m / ACP000ds0o

and the lady with infant in ACP000drxs / ACP000driq / ACP000drir certainly looks like Kiana...

what do you think? does it make sense?

Posted

Makes perfect sense! I'm still struggling with certain juveniles... 😃 but I'm sure it's Kiana and infant.

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

A female carrying an infant vertrally and a juvenile are getting off quite quickly here in ACP000dl1z. I think those are Kiana with GSInf26 and her older offspring, Loika. They have been sitting at the very left of the log two minutes before. Jemila who has been sitting behind obviously has already left the place.

Posted

Hmm, I was doubting about the infant´s size and had to check it in slow motion a couple of times, what do you think? in ACP000dkre (same day as ACP000dl1z ) the infant rides dorsally, and in your video it is ventrally carried...

ACP000dkre :

and ACP000dl1z :

don´t you see a subtle difference in size? every thing else makes sense to me 😃

Posted

I'm really not sure about the size. It's hard to tell with that fast movement. I think though she's carrying ventrally because of the situation so the infant is more protected and can hang on better at that speed. We've seen that before. They seem to be in full flight.

Posted

yep, you´re right. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The juvenile female in ACP000dkgp might be Loika. I think she is the only female juvenile with such a dark face and body size, sunken eyes etc. fit in my opinion.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I couldn't think of any other juvenile that fits look and size. It must be Loika. I'm just worried what she's doing with all these guys and no Kiana around 😕 😉

Btw, the first bony back might be Fouts and the one coming straight after her looks like Eliot. His right testie is lower than the left one compare ACP000dsr4. I need to evaluate the other butts a bit closer to come up with more ideas 😄

Edit: last one seems to be Cassini. See Cassini thread.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Absolutely, I agree on Loika. I wonder where she is going with these boys...we won´t tell mom 😉

The first thing that came to my head was Fouts and Eliot, so I agree on this too.

What do the others think?

Posted

I support your proposal, Nuria, for Kiana and GSinf26 in ACP000drip ACP000driq ACP000drir ACP000dris.

Posted

Thank you 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

We had here in the video comments of ACP000dshn a discussion about the sex of Kiana's infant (proposed male). I might already be in this discussion, but maybe it can be solved before naming? Thanks!

Posted

I would still say it looks like a boy 😃

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

ACP000drwtenter image description here
    ACP000dshoenter image description here
    ACP000drcdenter image description here
    ACP000dqzd around the fourth second.
    Those videos all show something light and round under the big white tuft. I would say that there are testicles visible. At least the left one seems quite clear to me. Is it not possible that some chimps are a bit earlyer than others? I would vote for a boy-chimp. 😃

Posted

I vote for boy too 😃

Posted