Chimp & See Talk

Vivie & Yuri : GSJuv07

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Could these two juveniles be the same one?

enter image description here

left, GSJuv07 from: JULY: GSJuv07 in 7/25/2013 ACP000dzow ACP000dzoy

right, JUNE: 6/10/2013 ACP000d9vv ACP000da4g ACP000da4n ACP000da8h ACP000da8j ACP000dabc ACP000da7x ACP000da7z ACP000d9o3 ACP000d9o5 ACP000da9q ACP000da9s ACP000d9vc ACP000d9ve ACP000d9sm

Both have their left hand damaged, having only one finger.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I just wanted to add (and will add to the other thread, too) that we also have an accompanying adult for GSJuv07 already: ACP000dzp1. I see clear similarities and maybe that helps us here. (I don't think that this is a male, it should be the mother.)

Posted

I also want briefly summarize why I think this is a match and distinct from the other pair: the juvenile's light face coloration, the dent in the left ear (mentioned also by @Snorticus), and of course the injury.

The adult female has a more tringular face and a whitish beard that is not really seen in GSFem05. (There is a face view of the female in ACP000dzp0 - untagged).

So, yes, I think we have two pairs.

Posted

Great! so we have a match here, and the juvenile (GSJuv07) waits for you Anja to give him a name. You have been essential to unravel this mess 😃

Dawna, what about a name for GSJuv07´s mom? like Heidi and Anja, you have helped me amazingly with this double match...would you?

Thanks so much!!

Posted

I would like to name this juvenile Yuri.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks Anja!! Yuri fits 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

I'm going with Vivie for Yuri's mother.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks so much! Vivie is very beautiful 😃

Posted

@Corcaroli found another video from what seems to be Yuri - missing right hand, size and facial features agree. ACP000daqb EDIT: I've just seen that the video before ACP000daqa is already retired in the official list. Might help to support the match proposal.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Yesterday I couldn't decide if this is his face or not, lighting is so different, but the hand looks to be like Yuri's. Possibly Vivie is off camera to the right as he seems to be tracking something over there.

Posted

I must admit that I needed some time to make up my mind about this juvenile. But I agree on Yuri, and I have tried to capture this in this collage, let´s see if I can make myself clear:

First, althought many chimps have it, I see a knot in Yuri´s left ear; I see it too in the juv in ACP000daqb, same shape and same place . Juv. sizes fit too. I have tried to zoom and lighten a screenshot of the injured (or better said, missing) hand of the chimp in ACP000daqb but I´m not very happy with the results: anyway, I can´t see if the injury looks exactly like Yuri´s injury, but the left hand is clearly missing ...

left: Yuri in ACP000d9vc , centre and right: ACP000daqb :

that said, I would agree on Yuri in ACP000daqb

more thoughts?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I'm on board here as already stated in the video comment 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks for sussing that out, Nuria. Another Yuri scampering about 😉

Posted

Great!!

thanks ladies 😃

Posted

It seems that in ACP000da2u / ACP000da2v we do see Yuri (on the ground, behind the tree) and Vivie (in front of the tree again). Yuri's light face and protruded brows are well seen and the damaged left hand briefly in ACP000da2u behind Vivie

I checked the untagged ACP000da2t for confirmation of Vivie's face.

Here also a backview (relevant for another proposal).

I don't know who the little one in the tree is.

Posted

I also think that the juvenile with the strange gait in ACP000d8rp is Yuri (size agrees) and Vivie follows.

Juvenile with a strange gait, light face, and protruded brows. Profile view better in video.

Backview female (compare with the Vivie suggestion in my last posting)

Posted

ACP000da2u / ACP000da2v : agreed, these are Vivie and Yuri : see Vivie´s face for comparison in ACP000da4n :

Posted

and I think I could agree on ACP000d8rp but I´m not sure...look, I edited a still from ACP000da2u , trying to get similar coloration, exposure, etc, and this is the result:

left, Vivie in ACP000da2u (edited) , right ACP000d8rp :

Vivie´s rear looks a bit more bony and bald to me, but I´m not sure how reliable my editing skills are 😕 . You have a good eye when it comes to BW videos, so I don´t want to discard your proposal a priori. What do you think?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I don't think that you can see in the video that Vivie is more bony. The swelling looks very much alike and the flat back, slightly lightened (but not really) gray is the same. I see no structural differences and with editing a color video in black-and-white, you are doing - technically - something different than recording a black-and-white video. It's not necessarily comparable and you also need to take lighting in effect.

This monitoring video from Lincoln Zoo shows nicely the transition from color to b/w mode and back (and it's super cute): https://www.facebook.com/lincolnparkzoo/videos/10153465422702742/

Besides of this, Vivie has wet hair in ACP000da2u / ACP000da2v that likely contributes to the "bonier" as body structure is better seen than with a dry (and fluffier) coat.

Posted

yes, I see your point. I didn´t take into account the fact that Vivie is wet in ACP000da2u / ACP000da2v...it explains things.

I agree on Vivie and Yuri in ACP000d8rp 😃

This monitoring video from Lincoln Zoo shows nicely the transition from color to b/w mode and back (and it's super cute): https://www.facebook.com/lincolnparkzoo/videos/10153465422702742/

soooo cute!! Thanks for sharing.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

LOL great link! those two youngsters have a lot of fun 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

super cute video @AnLAnd thanks for sharing!! 😃

Posted