Chimp & See Talk

Chimp group composition at GS

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I´m trying to organize the groups that we have at GS. I´m not completely sure about the second group composition, would you guys help me with this?

GROUP 1:

Females + infants + juveniles:

Petra

Katie + GSInf24 + Noel

Siena + GSInf02 + GSJuv10

Sal

Vala + GSInf04

Jemila + GSInf11

Xenia + GSInf12

Blondie + GSInf13 + Fanny

Kiana + GSInf26 + Loika

Flores + GSInf14 + Fowey

Layla + GSInf25 + Jana

Cleo + GSInf17 + Jamie

Luna + GSInf19

Males:

Cassini

Yakini

Eliot

Bohr

TChalla

Fouts

Paddy

Lonn

Oden

GROUP 2:

Females + infants + juveniles:

Gaia + GSInf01 + GSJuv09 + GSJuv05

Yoana + GSInf31

Kalypso

Hassina-Yvette + Linden

Vivie + Yuri

Males:

Titan

Dick

Bud

Octavio

There are also some seen alone:

Mona (group 2?)

Akilah + GSInf16 + Aurora (group 1?)

what do you guys think?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Can you briefly comment on what basis you did the separation and what your assumptions are. I realize you take clear associations into account, i.e., chimps that were seen together. But for instance not at which camera they were seen and were not seen, e.g., Hasina-Yvette, Kalypso, and Vivie (plus kids if they have them) were all seen on the camera were we did see Gaia. Gaia and Yoana have been seen at the same camera. Yoana was seen in a sequence with Hasina-Yvette and Hasina-Yvette again with Vivie.

Mona has never been seen - confirmed - with anyone from this group or on cameras were we did see Gaia, Hasina-Yvette, etc. She also has not been seen with somebody from group 1, but on a camera were we did see at least Layla and family.

Akilah on the other hand has been seen at least three cameras where we did see group 1.

I am just trying to find out on what basis we should argue here and collect information. Only individuals seen together, or also "territory", i.e., camera appearance?

My problem with Mona's scene on February 21st, 2013, for instance, is that it does not look like a patrol. There are youngsters around and in most videos they are rather feeding than any carefully exploring of territory. It is also a multi-hour endeavour.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Kekere has also been seen in the same minute as Hasina-Yvette: ACP000d2jj / ACP000d2jl and in ACP000d683 only three minutes after them again in January: ACP000d61k and two minutes after a young male: ACP000d691 and infant. So, she should also clearly go in group 2.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

When we group them according to the feeding tree, I'm ok with this, Nuria.

As we identified Kalypso now in the sequence with Gaia we can also count her to group 2. Other than that I'm not sure how the groups are formed. E.g. we see Petra with many different females and Eliot but never with the other males.

Then I'm wondering about Lonn. He might be a loner because we have only seen him once at the tree. The other occurences were while travelling, I think.

Also Layla gives me some headache. When we see her at the feeding tree of group 1 she only passes by. Does this mean she does not belong to group 1 or are the groups much smaller than we think? Some only formed by families? On the other hand Jamie has been seen with other females/males of group 1.

All a bit confusing for me but for a general grouping I think we can still speak of group 1 and 2.

Posted

Sorry for this confusing and not precisely sciencey attemp.

I was just trying to lay out a very general overview about what the chimp population that we have so far at Green Snowflake could look like, in order to help us when it comes to matching them. My line was basically the chimps that I see together, and I didn´t take so much into account the places where they are seen.

It is supposed to be a general approach about which chimps show preference for which chimps (and thus seen together) at a certain moment. Chimp populations are flexible fission-fusion societies (like elephants 😃 ), that is, very dinamic groups, changing in size and composition.

Posted

ok so:

Hassina-Yvette, Vivie, Kalypso and Kekere should belong to group 2.

Akilah and Aurora could belong to group 1 as they are seen at the same place. To be borne in mind.

For the moment, Mona belongs to no group.

Lonn is seen travelling with Fouts in ACP000czfx , so group 1

Layla: chimps are often solitary, that means, we frequently see individuals (males, females, juveniles or fem-inf-juv groups) seen alone, and then interacting with another chimp or group. So the same group of chimps might split off and gather constantly. That´s why I believe that Layla belongs to group 1.

Thank you guys for your opinions 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thanks for the explanation Nuria, that helped! I wasn't aware of that frequent changing and regrouping of chimps. There's still a lot to learn for me.

And you're of course right about Lonn, seen with the other a bit shaggy warrior and sometimes loner Fouts 😄

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Shaggy-Fouts, I like it 😃

enter image description here enter image description here

see this article (or the abstract): https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/behavioural-diversity-in-chimpanzees-and-bonobos/factors-influencing-fissionfusion-grouping-in-chimpanzees-in-the-tai-national-park-cote-divoire/125A631B5B53FCA3CC1BD91D4EDD2B97

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks for the link, Nuria. I'm going to keep this fission–fusion social organization in mind. I was always thinking about more or less closed groups but Greensnowflake actually should have taught me better!

LOL - I'm tempted to do something with these two guys.... 😉

Posted

can´t wait to see it 😃

Posted

Shaggy friends 😉

enter image description here

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

LOL @Boleyn 😮. At last someone I can confidently identify!

Posted

😄 😄 😄 😄

I knew you wouldn´t disappoint me...lovely!!!!!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

Oh @Batfan do you? I didn't even know Shaggy before. Just the musician and I was already prepared to trim Fouts shoulder padds into dreadlocks! 😛

Nuria, that was a nice little distraction from all the usual chimp work. But I'm back on track already 😃

Btw... don't you think that Fouts has a smirk on his face?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Batfan's comment.

@Batfan and @Boleyn 😄

Posted

haha, yeah, he´s got like a "cool" way of staring 😃

Posted

Addition to the group compositon as I see it:

Group 1 males:

Frinton

Group 2 Females:

Scarlett

Kekere

Hedy

Nuria and GSInf05b

GSFem23 (needs to be named)